Milagres PU and Milagres College Golden Jubilee year 2016/17 to be inaugurated on 16th July
Udupi : The inauguration of the Milagres College and PU College, Kallianpur Golden Jubilee Year 2016/17 will be inaugurated on 16th July, 2016 at 10.30 am at Milagres Tri-centenary Hall.
Dr. Gerald Pinto Principal of Milagres College was speaking with media persons at Udupi Press Club here said that The Bishop of Udupi Diocese and President of Catholic Educational Society, Most Rev. Dr. Gerald Isaac Lobo will be presiding over the ceremony. The Golden Jubilee Year will be inaugurated by Sri Pramod Madhwaraj, Hon Minister for Fisheries, Youth and Sports and Incharge Minister of Udupi district. Smt. Janaki Brahmavar the President of Tulu Sahitya Academy who is also the alumnus of the college and Smt Pushpa Kotial President of Kallianpur Grama Panchayat will be guests of honour. The ceremony will be graced by Senior students, retired teachers, parents and the other dignitaries of the vicinity.
He said the major attraction of the ceremony will be the institution of the corpus fund called “Milagres College Golden Jubilee Educational Fund for the Students” through which the college intends to educate the poor students. Already the staff members, under the leadership of College new Principal Dr. Gerald Pinto, the Convener Prof Cyril Mathias who have contributed Rs. One Lakh and Fifty thousand respectively, have pooled together more than three lakhs for the purpose. The college has the plan of having a corpus fund of more than a Crore.
During the Golden Jubilee year the college intends to organize programmes for the students, teachers, parents, alumni and the general public.
For Students – In Campus programmes :
1. Interaction with the eminent personalities who have excelled in sports, politics, social service, public service etc. Trying to bring the Alumni personalities would serve our purpose better.
2. Cultural , Sports and Academic competitions to the students relating the Golden Jubilee celebrations.
3. Intense training for the interested students to appear for campus interviews as well as competitive exams.
4. Practical skill based programs like training in plumbing, electrician, tailoring, fashion designing, beautician etc.,
Outside the Campus programmes :
1. Compulsory week long village experience program for the final year students,
2. Medical camps in association with different hospitals in different places outside the campus involving our students.
Programmes for the teachers and support staff :
1. Orientation or refresher programmes for the teachers,
2. Motivational programmes for the teachers.
3. Each department will conduct one or two workshops/seminars during the year,
4. An orientation programme for the support staff could be organized,
5. Bringing the retired principals and staff members into the campus under the banner of Golden Jubilee and have a get together with their family members.
Programmes for the Parents :
1. Trying to identify the needs( social, economic, government benefits etc.) of the parents and rest of their children and trying to meet their needs through the institution or through the help of the public and alumni.
2. Visiting the families of the students in case of causalities, ailments etc, in order to give them emotional support.
3. Visiting the parents to enquire about the educational needs of the siblings of the students.
4. Conducting some sports, cultureal and literary events for the parents either in the campus of outside in the villages in connection with Golden Jubilee celebrations.
Programmes for the Alumni :
1. Honouring the first batch Alumni during the ceremony.
2. Invite the Alumni in batches for an interaction and a get together in the campus.
3. Honouring the Alumni achievers during the year.
Programmes for the public :
1. Creating awareness among the public by performing street plays, Jathas among the public.
2. Honoring the achievers among the public.
3. Identifying the resource persons among the surrounding public and introducing them to our students.
4. Conducting medical camps and joining hands in Swachh Bharath Andolan.
During the press meet Dr. Gerald Pinto said that Milagres College Kallianpur was established in the year 1967 by Monsgr D. J. D’Souza, who was 83 years old then. His wish was that the boys and girls who work in the fields should be able to come to the college straight from fields. He had the able direction from the Diocesan Vicar General Monsgr William Lewis. The College was lucky the great Historian Dr. Gururaj Bhat as its first Principal.
Initially the college extended only B.Com and B.A courses to the students. In the year 1981, Very Rev Fr. Gregory D’Cruz introduced Science section in the college. In the year 2010 a new college block named “Miracles” was constructed by Rev. Fr. Fred Mascarenhas who was then the Principal. He also was responsible to upgrade the college by introducing B.BM and BSW UG courses and MSW P. G. Courses. The college now also offers M.Com P. G. Course.
During the press meet Very Rev Fr. Stany B. Lobo Correspondent of Milagres Educational Institutions, Re Dr. Prakash Anil Castalino Campus Director, Prof. Cyril Mathias, Prof Joseph Fernandes, Prof. Melwyn Rego, Prof. Herald Monis were present.
News published on: 2016-07-15